2003-Present The Fiber Optic
Association . Founder, President and manage operations.
- Madison High School, Madison,
TN, 1957-63, Honors, Forensics/Debating, learned computer programming
in 1962 from IBM in a pilot program - with computers that had
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville,
TN, B.A. 1967, Cum Laude, With Honors in Physics-Astronomy, Minor
in Math (and enough hours for a minor in Philosophy.) While at
Vandy, I developed the first computerized data acquisition system
for astronomical photometry, writing all the software, debugging
hardware and creating data analysis algorithms.
- University of California, Santa
Cruz, Lick Observatory, 1967-8. Worked on Ph.D. in Astronomy.
Transferred much of my computerized data reduction program to
Lick before I left for more lucrative commercial pursuits!
- Work Experience
Manage, write and edit the website of The Fiber Optic Association, including the Online Reference Guide to Fiber Optics
- 2002-Present VDV
Works LLC, technology support company for the voice-data-video
industry, founded in 2002 with my spouse/business partner, Karen.
- 1980-2002, Fotec, Inc. Entrepreneur/Founder/President,
fiber optic test equipment. Venture funded, profitable for >15
years, sold to Fluke Networks (Danaher) in 2001.
- 1979-80, Teradyne, Market Manager,
ATE for telecom ICs (the beginning of the digital phone system)
- 1978-79, Analogic/Data Precision,
Market Development Manager, instrumentation (where I was introduced
to fiber optics by AT&T)
- 1976-78, Panametrics, Marketing
Manager, ultrasonic instrumentation
- 1973-76, Analog Devices, Marketing
Manager, modular instrumentation (while at ADI, worked on project
for first monolithic A/D converter) and Advertising Manager
- 1971-3, Tennelec, sales/marketing,
- 1968-71, EG&G, sales/marketing,
nuclear and analytical instrumentation (developed techniques
for scanning ICs for elements in structure)
- Hundreds of magazine articles!
I have written technical articles for Fiberoptic Product News,
Lightwave, Cabling Installation and Maintenance, Electronic Products,
Test and Measurement World, Communications News, Roundel,
- I am a contributing editor currently for
Electrical Contractor and formerly for TED,
with monthly columns on voice-data-video.
- Author or co-author of several
textbooks, Fiber Optic Testing (out of print), The FOA Reference Guide to Fiber Optics, The FOA Reference Guide to Premises Cabling, The FOA Reference Guide to Outside Plant Fiber Optics, The
Fiber Optic Technicians Manual and Data, Voice and Video Cabling. Contributor to several other books
including The Handbook of Fiber Optic Data Communications.
- Started Fotec website in 1994,
managed site and wrote most of the material on it up to present.
- Speaker for numerous organizations
and meetings, e.g. IEEE, SPIE, OSA, NAED, NECA, NCTA, IBEW, IEC, SCTE,
United Nations. Conducted webinars.
- Developed training programs
and taught about 10,000 students about fiber optics and communications
- Created "Fiber U"
and "Cable U" conference formats and ran then for Fotec,
NECA and other organizations.
- Created "train-the-trainer"
programs in fiber and cabling and taught many instructors (maybe
- Working with high school teacher
interns, created self-study WBT (web-based training) programs
used by tens of thousands of people monthly.
- Created new instructor kits
for VDV cabling training and self-study programs sold through
- Other Activities In Recent
- President and Member of Board
of Directors of The Fiber Optic
Association (of which I was a co-founder)
- President and Member of Board
of Directors of The Structured
Cabling Association (of which I was a co-founder)
- Served on boards of several
companies in fiber optics and intellectual property management.
- Industry advisory boards of
several universities and vocational education schools
- Professional Memberships
- FOA (Founder, President)
- SCA (Founder, President), now part of FOA
- Sports car racing, both as a
driver and mechanic, vintage racing 1989-2001,
retired from active racing and instructing for track events (BMWCCA,
AROC, NASA, etc.), collector of books and literature on racing.
Member and/or participant in SCCA, VSCCA, VARAC events.
- Collecting Art and Artifacts
- Computers - high tech gadgets